Guidelines for abstract submission
Dates and deadlines
- Opening abstract submission: 15th December 2010, 24:00 CET*
- Abstract submission deadline: 15th February 2011, 24:00 CET*
- Extension of deadline for non-YIA abstract submission: 1st March 2011, 24:00 CET*
- Notification to authors: 1st April 2011, 24:00 CET*
- Deadline for registration for presenting authors: 1st May 2011, 24:00 CET*
* CET = Central European Time
ECSS Account creation
Congress registration in your ECSS account (click on the banner “Register here”)
- submit your abstract (we accept only online abstract submissions!)
- pay your registration fee before the 1st of May 2011
- edit your personal details if needed
- check your registration status
- check your abstract acceptance status after 1st of April
- print your Invoice/Receipt/Letter of acceptance on the fly
Your registration will be c o m p l e t e d with the p a y m e n t of registration fee.
An author may submit a maximum of two abstracts as first author (only one of these abstracts can be submitted in the preferred format of oral presentation). The submitted abstract must be presented at the congress by the first author. It is possible to appear as co-author on other abstracts. Please note that after your submission further changes cannot be accepted.
Import information: Congress registration for the first author is obligatory before 1st May 2011
The Abstract must be typed into the Abstract Submission Form. Abstracts are restricted to 3000 characters (including spaces, title, authors and institutions). It may not contain any tables or graphs and is restricted to ASCII-characters only**. Please note, that an abstract prepared in a program like Windows Word may contain non-ASCII characters.
References in the text have to be cited at the end of the abstract (they must fit in the 3000 characters). All content of the abstract is in the sole responsibility of the author(s) of the abstract. You can preview the abstract during the submission process. Abstracts will be printed exactly as they appear in the preview. Only at this stage editing of your abstract will be possible. The receipt of your abstract submission will be confirmed by e-mail.
All accepted abstracts will be published in the proceedings of the 16th Annual Congress of the ECSS, preconditioned the first author is registered.
** = Hint: To make sure your abstract only contains ASCII characters, copy-paste the text first to a text-editor like Windows Notepad, then "Save As..." and set Encoding to "ANSI".
Example: Please find an abstract submission example here.
All abstracts will be reviewed by Scientific Committees, which will make recommendations as to the type of presentation (oral or poster).
The author may state preference for the type of presentation (oral or poster). The final decision however lies upon the Scientific Committees.
Presenters (= first authors) must be registered for the congress at the latest by 1st May 2011 to guarantee publication of the abstract in the proceedings. Later registrations will lead to an exclusion of the abstract.
- Oral presentation format is PowerPoint. Oral presentation time will be 10 minutes plus 5 minutes of discussion. Oral presentations must be pre-uploaded in the Speakers Ready Room afore.
- Poster size is A0 (height: 120 cm, width 90 cm). Poster format is portrait. Poster presentation time will be two minutes plus two minute of discussion. All posters shall be put up in the morning for the Poster Presentation Slot A and also for Presentation Slot B. All posters shall be removed in the evening. Please see details in the Programme Structure.
Young Investigators Award (YIA)
All abstracts that should be considered for the YIA must be labeled appropriately on the submission form. Please check detailed information on the YIA. Please note that supplementary material must be submitted additionally to successfully apply for the YIA.